My New Blog: TF Workshop

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Installed Appliance Lift

The appliance lift works! It holds both the KitchenAid mixer and food processor.

Since we had a piece of granite left over from the island, my DW suggested we use it on the lift. The weight of the appliances and the granite is pretty significant, so I had to adjust the spring tension to the maximum (third position). For detials on buying one of these, see this former post.

I bonded the granite to 1/2" piece of plywood, to give it strength and so it could be screwed to the lift assembly. I also glued a thin strip of granite with a rounded edge to the front, to give a fully rounded radius. If you look at the edge in the picture, you can see this. I am going to put cherry wood strips around the sides and back to cover it. I mounted it before I put them on to determine how thick they could be.

There is room to put a pull-out shelf under the lift to hold the KitchenAid accessories. I am trying to decide if there is room above it for a shallow drawer or slot for a cutting board.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a clever idea! Work doesn't start on my kitchen for another 2 weeks, but you've given me some great ideas. (Also the granite you chose is really beautiful!)

Muskego Jeff said...

That lift looks like a great addition to the kitchen - I wish I could justify using the extra space in the cabinets for mine. If I find I've got enough room after it's done, I'm adding a lift.

I like the tile color - I've used a dark green/black like that in the past and it really looks sharp. Are you adding some under cabinet lighting? That really makes it look good.

Troy Farwell said...

Thanks for the nice comments.
Yes - we have under-cabinet lighting all the way around the kitchen. Once I put it in, we realized that it is one of the most important features.

Kate F. said...

Brilliant! I was searching for one of these and am glad to see it actually installed. I wouldn't have thought to make the shelf wide enough for the cuisinart as well; that's a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Cabinets have been ordered but won't be installed for another month. I would love to have a mixer lift, but the only place left I couldput it is under the sink oposite the garbage disposal. The door openning is 15"W X 21"H. The problem is I only have 14" depth from the front of the inside cabinet to the pipes. Do you think it would be possible to reconfigure a mixer lift to fit? I don't have a store close so would have to order and don't want do that if I need might need to return it. Help, Kathy

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your kitchen. My cabinets have been ordered and due to install in about a month. I would love to have a mixer lift, but the only place left is the kitchen cabinet oposite the garbage disposal. The door opening is 15"W X 21"H. But I only have 14" from the front inside to the pipes. Do you think it possible to reconfigue it to fit?
could use a little advice. Kathy